Monday, February 23, 2009

Milk Wins Two Oscars

Milk, the biopic of gay activist Harvey Milk, directed by Gus Van Sant, won two Oscars last night during the 81st award ceremony. Sean Penn walked away with the award for best actor while Dustin Lance Black received a statuette for best original writing.

Commenting on his victory, Dustin Lance Black said:
"If Harvey had not been taken from us 30 years ago, I think he'd want me to say to all those gay and lesbian kids out there tonight - who have been told that they are less than by their churches, by the government, or by their families - that you are beautiful, wonderful creatures that are valued."

Dustin Lance Black also thanked his mother for her acceptance of his sexuality, and promised homosexual young men and women that, "very soon you will have equal rights, federally, across this great nation of ours."

Sean Penn said:
"Thank you. Thank you. You commie, homo-loving sons of guns. I did not expect this and I want it to be very clear that I do know how hard I make it to appreciate me often."

"For those who saw the signs of hatred as our cars drove in tonight, I think that it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect and anticipate their great shame and the shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that way of support. We've got to have equal rights for everyone."

The film has already garnered another 26 wins & 44 nominations since its release in October last year.

Milk on the IMDB

No comments: